Sunday, March 8, 2009

California Part II

Now that I have had a little bit of time to get back into normal things I thought I would talk a little bit about my California trip. The purpose of the trip was to take a class in Lean Maufacturing to start on the path to Bronze Certification. Our instructors were from Incito Consulting Group. http://www.incitoconsultants.com/ Most of their experience was from the auto manufacturing industry which is a bit different from food manufacturing but the overall concepts are the same.

We had three days of really intensive training which also included some mock manufacturing situations. At the end of the three days was a test.

Each night after class we had the chance to visit some of the restaurants in Visalia for dinner. I think I have eaten enough meat to last for a few days. We ate at a steak house called the Double LL a couple of times. They are known for their generous servings. Another night we ate at a Brazilian Charrasco restaurant. All of their meat is cooked on a spit and carved right onto your plate. It is all you can eat...imagine that. Oh and by the way they did have guarana which of course I ordered. http://www.guaranaantarctica.eu/about.htm

We got home about a quarter to one on Saturday morning--we traveled from Fresno to Sea-tac to Yakima on Horizon Air.

4 comments:

Sheila C. said...

Ok. So I am curious. When you were in Brazil did they eat like they did in the Brazilian restaurant? :)
Sometimes the food is the best part of a business trip.

Edmond said...

No. Actually the main thing people ate in Brazil was rice and beans. The rice was white rice cooked like we usually cook rice. The beans were made somewhat like bean soup. A little watery and served over the top of the rice. The beans were usually black but occasionally they used red beans. Meat and seasonings were also added to the beans.

Marci Roberts said...

The food you ate in Brazil sounds just like what we ate in Paraguay. Pretty similar cultures I am assuming.

Edmond said...

I think Paraguay and Brazil are really similar culturally especially in Southern Brazil. Just a little language difference.